The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Martha White may be rolling over in her grave but...

This biscuit lovin', cake bakin', pie falutin', cookie cravin' Southern gal has gone gluten free! I still can't believe it myself, and I haven't had gluten in a week.

It wasn't on a doctor's order, and I wasn't having any "issues." I've simply been doing a lot of reading and researching lately, and I knew I needed to make a change. I've been tired and sluggish for so long, and I'm tired of feeling that way. Plus, with Joe being diabetic, this goes hand in hand with the meal alterations I've already made over the past year.

So...guess what I made yesterday! My first gluten free Mug Cake. And it was de-li-cious! 

I know our sweet & snarky Miss Judy makes something like this because I remember seeing a picture of her precious Jim sitting in a chair eating it. And he looked very happy! But Judy, I'm guessing the recipe you use has flour in it (just like my original recipe does).

Here's the GF finished product

It's moist and warm and fudgy

And just melts in your mouth 

I topped mine with some whipped cream, and yum! I couldn't even eat it all. 
So Kurt ate the rest when he got home. 

So far, I'm not missing gluten at all, but I am missing 4 pounds. And I FEEL so much better, which is the main thing. Who knew that the foods I loved didn't love me back? : (

Here's the recipe if you're interested:

Mug Cake
(This recipe is for one serving and is cooked in a coffee mug in the microwave)

2 T. Almond flour
1 1/2 T xylitol
1 T cocoa powder, heaping
1 egg
1 1/2 T. half and half or cream
1 T Butter or coconut oil
Splash of Vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Mix all dry ingredients in mug, add egg and blend thoroughly. Add half and half or cream, oil and vanilla and mix. Place in 1000 watt microwave for 90 sec. Do not cover mug. Cake will rise. Let cool and place on plate. Add a little whipped cream, and enjoy!

I want to give a shout out to author and buddy Colleen Coble for sharing her Paleo and Primal lifestyle resources with me. And her recipe for Cocoa Crack. Fabulous! And Cauliflower Pizza, which I'm making tonight. I'll let you know how that turns out.

A couple quick things:
I'm giving away a PRE-RELEASE copy of Deb Raney's newest novel, After All, on my personal blog, so please sign up over there for a chance to win it. I'll draw a winner Friday at noon and mail the book that day!

Check out Rachel Hauck's blog this week and her blogging series entitled Beautiful Brides. In celebration of her latest release, The Wedding Dress, she's hosting authors in...you guessed it! Their wedding dresses! Yesterday, she shared pictures of Deborah Raney and her husband Ken. This Friday, April 27th, she'll show pics of me and Joe.

Oh! And brace yourself... I'm off of Diet Pop too. Yes, the world is still spinning. I know, I know. I don't know what's gotten into me but I'm feeling better than I have in a long time. I'm not going to promise you I'll never have a Krispy Kreme or Diet DP again, but so far I'm loving the changes I'm experiencing.

So tell me, have you gone GF? Or does the idea scare you to death and have you running for your bag of Martha White? 

Tammy

P.S. If you have any GF recipes you adore and are willing to share, I'd welcome them!

13 comments:

  1. Wow Tammy! Definitely a lifestyle change! I've not made it to Gluten Free yet...do you have to go to certain stores to get the almond flour and other special ingredients. I have about 10-15 pounds left to lose...maybe we should give it a try! :-P

    Pretty impressive that you see such a dramatic change (both in energy and weight) so quickly :-) Keep us updated on how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are pulling my arm! (Not my leg, I'm not mixing my metaphors. I mean you are pulling me toward this way of life!) I read Colleen's primal post too -- it gave me a primal scream! But I'm actually pondering all this. My husband's been having some health issues, and though I haven't gone GF, I have lost some weight by cutting out a lot of carbs - potatoes, breads, etc. - so I know there's something to it. My main problem is I hate so many veggies. Like cauliflower. But you are encouraging me to move this direction.

    Loved Deb and Ken's story yesterday - heading over to laugh, I mean admire, your picture now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have thought I'd do this, gals, so believe me... I'm still as shocked by it as you are. ; ) And I want you to know I passed by the Krispy Kreme this morning and didn't even feel a NUDGE to go. Of course, I didn't look to see if the "HOT" sign was on. Hey, let's not tempt fate, shall we? : )

    And I was wrong on the dates of posting pics. My and Joe's pics will be there this Friday! So yes, Miss Mocha, get ready to laugh. Really, have THAT many years gone by???????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Tammy! Good for you making these healthy changes! (says the lady who's already eagerly anticipating "National Donut Day"-the first Friday of June *sigh*). From what I'm noticing, more folks are going gluten-free these days and more GF products are available. Maybe one day I'll make the switch. ~ I must admit I'm in shock that you've gotten off your Diet DP. That would be kind of like me getting off coffee (ooohhh, the very thought makes me shudder, LOL). But I'm very proud of you and look forward to reading about your progress. ~ Cannot wait to view the wedding dress photo! Hugs from Georgia (where we're having WINTER again!), Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, everyone. Let me jump in to say that my wedding dress photos will post tomorrow, so hope you won't wait until Friday to check the blog.

    Tammy, I read Colleen's blog the same day you did, but you obviously are doing something about it. I'm still doing my own thing but only because I have no time to "think" about the changes I'll have to make and to go to the grocery store for things like almond flour. But I, too, am getting my brain ready to make some changes for health sake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way that gluten, sugar and diet drinks are bad for you! No way, I say! How ridiculous. This is just a vicious rumor started by a beautiful skinny woman who writes best-selling novels. Tammy, I'm gonna pray for your salvation. :D Just kidding. I know how hard it is to give up things you enjoy. And we don't even have Krispy Kreme in Montana - you have to drive all the way to Spokane for such luxuries. :D
    Tracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL at the National Donut Day, Patti Jo. Love that. But alas, I'll be abstaining this year. : ) And yes, if you don't have time to make them homemade, there are some fabulous GF products available in your grocer's freezer. (Sounds like an ad, doesn't it?)

    And yes, Robin! I know it takes some time. Thankfully, our Whole Foods is right by Walmart so it took all of 15-20 minutes to run in and grab the stuff I needed to start (with the help of a clerk, I'm not familiar with that store as well as Walmart, LOL). Of course, we've already been living the "diabetic lifestyle" for a year now as a family, so it's mainly just "me" I have to deal with. My 'side eating,' as it were. I can be sneaky with that sort of thing. A little here, a little there... and really, it's not the eating that's a problem. It's WHAT I've been eating.

    And Tracie, you make me laugh, woman. Vicious rumor, indeed. LOL! But please, continue to pray for me. I'll take all of those I can get! So proud of you and the dedication you've shown and that's so obvious in your progress, lady! Woohoo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you loved the mug cake too! It's very good with coconut and other nuts added as well. And I sometimes put in dark chocolate chips. :) Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think going gluten free has got to be good for you...but it's so intimidating to me. I have some friends who can't have gluten and I've heard many times how hard it is and how limited they are on what they can eat. I think the options are getting better and I'm seeing lots of free gluten free ecookbooks on "dining downloads" (page on facebook). Living in a small town I wonder how accessible gluten free cooking materials are. (What is xylitol?!) Anyway, I'm interested in it, especially if it'll give me some extra energy (I'm so tired) and help me lose the baby weight! Thanks for the recipe! You make it look easy, Tammy : ). Blessings~Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of my family is GF, and I eat probably...80/20 GF, just because that's what we have--or don't have--in the house. I'll definetly have to make these for my family soon--my 7 and 10 yr old siblings would go nuts over them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went totally off wheat and gluten for about three months. The first few days were tough, but once you get used to it, it's no problem. I felt better than I have in years, lost weight without even trying (!! I have PCOS so this is hard!), felt I cold think more clearly, etc. As much as I love wheat, and knew how wonderful it tastes, I wouldn't go back for anything.

    Then I ended up pregnant. And I craved wheat. And craved. To where I finally gave in. Add to this the worst morning sickness I've experienced out all three of my pregnancies, and I'm eating wheat.

    I plan on going wheat and gluten free as soon as possible. I came across the book, "Wheat Belly," that claims that wheat is genetically no longer wheat due to GMOs (which I agree) and the cause of America's obesity epidemic. The doctor that wrote the book advocates a low carb diet, but I kept all carbs in but wheat.

    If anyone is thinking about going wheat/gluten free, I say go for it. Give it 10 days and see how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and just in case anyone didn't know, keep xylitol away from dogs. It's highly toxic to them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading that book (Wheat Belly) right now, Carrie. And thanks for the heads up on xylitol and dogs. Had no clue. Congrats on the pregnancy as well. Praying for your health, and for the sweet one inside you!

    ReplyDelete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.