The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Friday, April 27, 2012

Quarry Fun

As promised, I wanted to share some of the neat pictures I took on my research trip to Minnesota Just outside of St. Cloud, MN is Quarry Park. It's one of the most incredible hidden treasures of Minnesota. The park is over 600 acres and has the most amazing walking trails. My friend Merrill DeGroot and I walked throughout the park and took photos for my research.

The granite is plentiful in this area of Minnesota.







The quarries here are just a few of what the state has to offer. Some of these quarries are over 100 ft. deep. The park allows rock climbing and scuba diving with permits, as well as fishing and swimming in specific areas. Walking through the wooded areas we enjoyed seeing yet another spring come to life. The aspens, oaks, maples were only a few of the trees that gave us a beautiful backdrop.


Of course dandilions were blooming and butterflies were enjoying the warm weather.
In the late 1800's and early 1900's derricks like this one were used for moving tons of granite stone.
This derrick has been refurbished to keep history alive.
When machines weren't available for power, horses would pull the lines and move the rock. It was a pretty amazing feat. While in St. Cloud I also went to the Stearns County Museum.

The folks there are wonderful to talk to and most helpful. John in the research library knew exactly where the book I needed was located. Cindy helped me with a mass mailing of research materials from the wonderful little shop. Local museums are some of the very best places to get research information. I love supporting them any way I can. This exhibit of quarrying was very useful.

The trip was pretty fast paced, but we did take time out to eat at Joe's Crab Shack. Hey, it was our reward for walking all those miles in the Quarry Park. Hope you get a chance to visit this great park. Oh, and last but not least - KINDLE has been offering A LADY OF HIGH REGARD for free! I don't know how long this will be available so you need to check it out right away.
God Bless You! Tracie

6 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place to visit. Anything nature oriented is a huge plus :-)

    I told Patti Jo on Facebook that I would post this prayer request here. I have a job interview in another county today at 1:00 Central time. I'm excited about this because, while I've signed a contract with my contracting company, if I can get directly hired on with a school system, that would be extremely beneficial! Prayers would be appreciated! And I'm keeping the interview off FB right now because I have several friends who work for the contract company who are over me :-)

    Love you ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine, as I am writing this, you are at the interview. God be with you, calm and bless you, and make His will clear to you.

    Tracie, I'd walk the quarry with you. I'd go to the museums. Yes, I've gladly eat at Joe's Crab Shack. But scuba dive in the quarry?
    Once upon a time, I was a certified scuba diver. The ocean is a great place to enjoy that sport. As for quarries? The thought gives me the heebie jeebies-- probably because the only time I read about the water-filled quarries is when they hold toxic material or are looking for a dead body!
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine, praying for you, babe, and asking God to open doors, or close them, according to His will. Let us know!!!

    Tracie, great post!! And LOL, Cathy, at the toxic waste comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ladies :-) Interview seemed to go fine. I told Erik on the way home that I'm not sure I'll be offered the job...not sure I have enough experience with severe/profound students. Also, they can't guarantee me a position on the north side of the county, meaning my commute could be an hour each way...BUT God's will be done in this. It is all in His hands!

    Cathy, also laughing at your toxic waste comment! :-) Also can almost imagine trying to scuba dive and all of a sudden a dead body showing up in front of you *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Tracie--glad it was a productive trip. ~ Continued prayers for sweet Catherine. ~ I too am chuckling over Cathy's comment...and now that it's already late at night here in GA, I'm hoping I don't have nightmares about scuba diving in a quarry, LOL. ~ Blessings, Patti Jo :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry ladies that I'm so late responding. Great post Tracie! And Catherine though your interview is over, I am praying that you will get the perfect job for you! Sending lots of love and cyber hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.