The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Antiques Roadshow, Anyone?


-->

I admit it. I love “Antiques Roadshow.” I love learning about the wonderful vintage and antique artifacts—even though sometimes it makes me feel old when someone wants to know about a toy I played with as a child. Ouch.

Values are interesting, but it’s the stories that draw me to the show. “We were driving down the road, and there was all this stuff out by the trash …” or “I bought it at a garage sale because I loved it … but I’m not quite sure how old it is. I just want to know more about it.” That kind of thing.

I think the “Antiques Roadshow” bug probably resides in the same part of my brain that inspired my three Quilt Chronicles books. My ever-present wondering, “if this thing could talk … what stories would it tell?” 

Do you love estate sales, tag sales, garage sales, & auctions? I always have. “The bug” may be contagious, but I don’t think it’s genetic, because only two of my four children “caught it.” A couple of weeks ago my daughter sent me a phone photo of a very old book of hymns that she’d found at an estate sale. I ended up driving over to the sale, where I had a great time admiring the built in oak book shelves with leaded glass doors and so much more about the old house. It was one of those “if these walls could talk” houses that had been well loved and well lived in—a house that deserved a bit of updating and a lot more years of love from a family.

About an hour and a half and less than forty dollars after stepping in the front door, I had acquired an antique oak chair, a box of books, several pieces of etched stemware, two brand new pillow forms, an elegant gentleman’s cashmere and wool dress coat, and this. So here’s the fun: can you tell from these two close-ups of part of it, what I was most excited about bringing home from this particular estate sale?




I was prepared to pay the whopping sum of $5 for it, but as it happened, it was late on the last day of the estate sale, and so everything was half price. So my new treasure cost me $2.50.

After you guess, scroll to the end of this post and you can see what it is. My two best buddies dropped by today and helped me set it up. Now I can have a party. And think about a story inspired by this hand-made artifact. A connection to the past and another woman I never met. The woman my “new/old” artifact was made for. We undoubtedly would have been friends.


What’s your favorite vintage find from an estate/tag/garage sale?

11 comments:

  1. Stephanie, if I had been at that sale I would have WRESTLED you for that treasure! Oh my goodness... When you're tired of it, would you please think of me? I'll even pay full price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving having it up ... even just to look at the quilt whether I have time to work on it or not, but I'm doing a bit of a "daily stint" as they used to, and am looking forward to finishing this project for Brooke. She's been very patient. I remember working on the individual blocks in 2000 when Bob was having his bone marrow transplant. I took them with me to have some hand work. Fifteen years later ... it may get finished!

      Delete
    2. We should have a combination brainstorming/quilting party LOL

      Delete
  2. I love antiques & "antiquing" for hours on end. That quilt rack is beautiful, by the way!
    I found these 21 nine patch quilt squares at an antique show ... great condition, probably from 1950's or a little bit older. The center squares on all of them had ladies' names embroidered on them! Suffice it to say I scooped up those treasures for a ridiculously cheap price & have a story in mind for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Meghan, for rescuing those quilt blocks. It would be a fun research project to try to find the names and figure out how the women knew each other ... i bet they were in a club together.

      Delete
  3. Great post, Stephanie. I love old stuff and bargains, so estate sales, thrift stores and yard sales are gold mines to me. Unfortunately, my husband hates antiques and rarely stops for yard sales. Opposites do attract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob loved ultra-modern and I loved Victorian when we married. Boy was that ever interesting ;-). In my current home we have "zen" clean lines and no clutter in our living room and I love that ... but I indulge my love for old stuff in my office ... you are right about opposites attracting. It can cause some "fireworks," but now I say I'm mature enough that it's mellowed ... or maybe I'm just old and tired LOL.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for visiting, Stephanie! I'm a fan of Antiques Roadshow, thus so was my heroine in My Stubborn Heart. :) My husband found a terrific desk at an estate sale and had it refinished. It became my desk. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun when things have a story attached. My "desk" is an old library table that used to be our kitchen table. And we had to take it apart to get it down the narrow stairs to my office ... but it was worth the effort. Thanks for spending time with Writes of Passage today!

      Delete
  5. Stephanie, it's so great to have you here! Thanks for sharing your wonderful find. Enjoy!

    Blessings,
    Andrea

    Proofreader/Writer
    writingtoinspire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. I'm always honored to get a chance to visit Writes of Passage.

      Delete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.