The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Friday, March 28, 2014

Book Loving Pets











I'm the proud owner of a dog who loves to help me write books.  Meet Sam, my four year old Cavalier King Charles spaniel.

He's great at giving me a soundtrack of quiet snoring to make sure I don't feel alone when I'm writing.  He will voluntarily function as a lap desk, as you can see.  He'll let me cuddle him for as long as I require whenever I'm staring at a wall and frantically thinking What am I going to write next???  He's extraordinarily compassionate.  When I experience a writing set-back, he stares at me with his dark liquid eyes and listens with rapt empathy.  

All of which got me to thinking.  If I have a dog who enjoys writing books, then there must be several pets out there who enjoy reading them.  So I asked a few of my readers if they owed a book loving pet.  Their responses were immediate! 

Book Loving Dogs

Samwise Gamgee here is a rescue.  He's also the joy of Susan's heart.  Susan and her husband are empty nesters and so their dogs are their grandkids.















Jake is happiest curled up with Christy and a great book.  He's her best writing buddy.












Hershey is a two year old long haired dachshund who was rescued from a shelter.  Like his owner, Melissa, he's a fan of suspense and coffee.


Jackson helps his owner Rebecca keep up to date on which books are coming out.  He's a social media guru.










Mitzi is a ten year old mini schnauzer.  Lisa tells me that she loves to read Christian romance novels.  Here she is with her latest read.  She was so engrossed in it that she didn't get a thing done.










Here's Kelsey and Hamlet, plugging away on a must read together.

Book Loving Cats



Kiki always finds a way to demand Dawn's attention when she's reading.  She loves historicals but dislikes Kindles because they're hard when they bump her on the head.












Oscar thinks it's helpful to sit on Marion's lap and hold her arm while she's trying to type.




Willow was so small when Kimberly found her that she could fit on Kimberly's palm with room to spare.  












Tolkien likes to sit ON TOP of Tima's books while she's reading.  Sometimes, for extra fun, he'll plant both paws on her reading material.

How's that for a daily dose of cuteness?!!

Are you fortunate to have a book loving pet in your life?  If so, I'd love to hear about him/her!

17 comments:

  1. Awwwww....what CUTE photos, Becky! I enjoyed seeing all these precious pets enjoying books.

    My cats are also quite the book-lovers *wink* - - as Tammy can attest to (several of my kitties posed recently with Tammy's newest book, and I posted the photos on Facebook!).

    And often as I'm reading or writing, at least one of my furry babies is close by---usually next to my computer or in my lap. Pets are such a special part of our lives---can't imagine not having mine (especially now that my human kiddos are grown *sigh*).

    Thanks for sharing this cute post, and Happy Friday! Hugs, Patti Jo (aka CatMom!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you, Patti Jo, when I wrote this post. With a name like CatMom I figured you'd have one, two, or ten book loving felines at home.

      Yes! Pets are such a special part of our lives. I was persuaded to get a dog for my kid's sake. But it turns out that I'm the one who's completely crazy over him. :)

      Delete
  2. Loved all these photos. If I'm reading on the sofa, my cat Pinky (13 lbs of cat!) likes to get on my chest and position herself so I can only see her and not the book. My small dog Poppet is much more considerate. She curls up against my thigh and snoozes while I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PInky and Poppet sound adorable, Robin!

      Delete
  3. Aww! They're so cute! My cat Taz comes up when I'm reading in bed and stretches across the whole book! He is determined that I'm going to pay attention to him! My other cat Patches is a little more considerate. If I'm not paying attention and stop petting her, she just climbs up until her head is directly in my line of sight so I can't see the book at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! It seems to be a common thread... cats who like to insert themselves between their owners and their owner's books. :) Too cute!

      Delete
  4. Loved your post, Becky. I'm currently kitty-sitting for my two grand-cats, Dexter and Leonidas, and they love to sit on top of my Bible when I'm reading my devotions. As soon as I sit at my computer, they are all over my desk and lap, trying to help me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dexter and Leonidas have such impressive names, Lynn! I'm sure they have the personages to match.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful post!! I love the pictures. This makes me wish we could have a pet inside so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A reader on facebook just told me about an organization called Book Buddies. Kids go and READ to the animals at the local shelter. The pictures are priceless! Now I'm wishing we had a local Book Buddies so I could take my kiddos. http://www.berksarl.org/programs/book-buddies/#sthash.bDKQqS5N.SHkuJH8u.dpbs

    ReplyDelete
  7. My cats down through the line have all helped me read. They have either sat on me while I read, paw at me to get my attentions, sat on my books, or looked like they were reading too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alas, no pets to speak of currently. At least not those that live indoors. Or that I can pet. I've been feeding birds outside the window in front of my desk. A titmouse bird keeps pecking at the window, so perhaps he thinks he's putting his two cents' worth into my tales. Also, there's a few rabbits that like our grass. They may not help me write or enjoy reading books, but they do provide a needed distraction when my stories frustrate me to pieces.

    Thanks for sharing your reader's photos, Becky. Very fun!

    Blessings,
    Andrea

    Proofreader/Writer
    writingtoinspire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky, I thought your post was so cute. I do have a couple of cat tales(oh please pardon the pun ..that's what comes of being buddies with our PJ!LOL)

    Now, my tales may sound far fetched but I promise you they are absolutely true. My parents inherited a beautiful black cat who decided to take up residence. It was not for lack of trying to find out to whom she belonged and after some weeks of searching for her owners, Sam became the Rectory cat. Somehow she sensed the pastoral care that my parents gave and she inherited it. She was exceptionally fond of both my parents but her favourite spot to sit, was right at my Dad's feet when he was at his desk, or lying at his feet when he sat in his red leather armchair reading. Sam discovered Dad's chair made a wonderful sharpening post, for her claws but her joy was shortlived when Mum quickly intervened.:)

    After my Dad passed away, Sam took on the role of carer for Mum. She followed Mum everywhere. One night Mum was wakened by Sam miaowing like she had never done before and she kept pawing at Mum until she got out of bed.(Mum at this stage was aged 87,so you can see why she wasn't in a hurry to get out of a nice warm bed). However, Sam made her feelings very evident and Mum followed her out to the family room and discovered she had forgotten to turn off her little electric radiator, which by then, was more than just a cosy glow and at the point of catching on fire. Mum had failed to notice that the cord had been resting against the heater and had begun to melt. Sam truly was watching out for Mum (just like my Dad used to do)

    About a year later Mum's beloved Sam went to kitty heaven. Mum found her and began to cry. Dear Sam had managed to knock my Dad's Prayer book off his desk and it fell on the floor right by Dad's arm chair. Mum found Sam lying on the Prayer Book with her little head resting on Dad's Palm Cross. I know this sounds like a tall story, but believe me..every word of this is true. Sam was a Spiritual cat in every sense of the word. She lies in peace in Mum and Dad's beautiful rose garden, which was a favourite place for her when sunning herself.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stunning and beautiful story, Rosie. Loved it! Thank you.

      Delete
  10. @ Rosie....what a sweet story..... Love, PJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. My nine year old German Shepherd chewed on the corners of my two old books! I almost cried last night when I discovered her eating one of the corners. Then I ran to another room to check on my treasures and found my antique book's corner ripped, the material loose, pinched with her teeth, molded by her saliva. She used to do things like that when she was a puppy, but I don't know why she did it recently. Does she see me reading for too long and got annoyed? She knew she did something wrong. She put her head down and with her glazed eyes looked as if she was really sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This thread & post made me smile.
    I still live at home, & we have two cats. My favorite is our big black galoot Doc who is the sweetest ever. He likes watching me write, playing with my earbuds & nudging me when I'm not typing.

    ReplyDelete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.