The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Spring Outlook











I haven’t thought of much new to blog about, so I’ve decided to use today's post as an excuse to relive our recent too-brief vacation. Like many winter-weary Minnesnowtans, my family took a warm-weather escape last week. We hadn't done a spring break trip with the boys before, but I snapped under this year's endless, record-breaking cold snap. We cashed in every last frequent flier mile in exchange for 4 tickets to Orlando. 

From there, we spent a day at the two Universal Studios parks, going on various simulator rides and roller coasters—motion sickness being my price to pay for spending the following two days the way I wanted—on the beach. 

Leaving the crowded whirl of theme parks behind, we went to St. Pete’s Beach on the gulf coast, reputed to be a little warmer, and the sand whiter and softer. The forecast called for the 70s, which may not be tropical, but at 50 degrees warmer than temps in our home state, it sure felt good. The chilly water kept all but the youngest and stoutest swimmers on shore, and my polar bear sons were among them—for twenty minutes or so. It was my 13-year-old’s first time in the ocean, and how I enjoyed watching them both jump over waves and attempt to body surf. It took me back to summer vacations from my youth, when my brothers and I played in the ocean. My mom wanted to take us to this museum or that, but all we wanted to do was swim and body surf. Maybe I’ll have to take my boys again when/where the water is warmer. Oh, all right, twist my arm!

Just for grins, here was the beach view from our hotel last week in Florida, compared to the beach view from our house today. Sigh. It was nice while it lasted.


Now, we’re home in Minnesota, the boys are back in school, and I’m back at work on revisions for my next book. For the next month or so, the only place I’m going is on a diet! Yes, in case you were wondering, you cannot sit all winter and eat whatever you want on vacation and not gain weight. I did the experiment for you; you can take it from me.

Hope warm weather reaches your neighborhood before it reaches ours. Happy Spring!

Did you take a winter getaway this year?

16 comments:

  1. Julie, thank you for sharing your trip with us. It is great getting to learn more about "our" authors. :-) It looks like ya'll had such a blast, even with the chilly water!

    We did not take a winter vacation this year, even though we set records here in Tennessee. Between the new HVAC system (put in on one of those coldest days ever!! And three days before my water broke!) and the new baby, we have stuck close to home. We did do Orlando and Universal Studios over the summer with my family and can attest to how much fun it was! No worries...I did not go on The Hulk, no matter how badly I wanted to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you are brave, Catherine. I admit I did not go on The Hulk. That one I watched from a safe distance. I did go on the dueling dragons and that was scary enough. Hope you're getting some sleep with that new baby of yours!

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie,

    Thank you for sharing your holiday with us. So glad to hear you all enjoyed yourselves.:)

    The best diet that I know is the "See food and not eat it" diet" (pardon the pun on see food)Oh Sad!! PJ! I'm sorry...!

    We are in Autumn over here and come Winter we will be heading to the UK for a touch of Northern Hemisphere Spring/Summer.
    It has been exceptionally hot even for Autumn..27 degrees Celsius for tomorrow, so some nice weather for the rest of this week and then....???.

    I confess,I'm a snow baby, just ask Judy. You should have seen the look on her face when we told her. Oh joy! It snowed when we were in Kansas.LOL)
    I love Winter and we do need the rain.... it is so refreshing after our extreme Summer heat..

    Good luck with the revisions

    Cheers

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosie. And you're right, I would miss the snow if I lived somewhere hot. But enough's enough! :)

      Delete
  3. So glad you got to escape for a little while, Julie. My daughter was in Florida during spring break as well. Her high school band got to march in the Disney parade in the Magic Kingdom. Of course, then they had to stay and goof off in the rest of the parks for the next 3 days before heading home. She loved it! We'd been before as a family, but this time she got to hang out with friends who are as anti-rollercoaster as she is. No mom urging her to try something with a little speed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen. That's right, you took your family to Disney during RWA a few years back, if I remember correctly. Hubby and I are not big ride fans, but it sounds like you are. I'm impressed!

      Delete
  4. You deserved a Spring break, Julie. This winter was a terror. And it always helps me to think of the extra weight I gain as insulation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Way to try to put a positive spin on it, Lynn! But you're right, I needed a break. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Well, fiddlesticks. If I'd known you were doing that experiment, I wouldn't have done an independent one on my own. Sigh.

    Truly, winter has been harsh for so many across the country. I'm glad you got some getaway and beach time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee. I tried to "take one for the team," Robin. Sorry you didn't get the memo. :)

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed your spring break pictures, Julie! We took our three kids to Santa Fe this year for spring break vacation and had a great time skiing, horsebackriding, relaxing. I love to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great, Becky. I love to travel, too. Thanks for popping in today!

      Delete
  7. What a fun trip, Julie! I'm guessing your boys really enjoyed it. It's always fun to get away with the family for a while.

    Over Spring Break, my family drove down to Tyler, TX for a few days. We're from north Texas, so the weather was nearly the same as what we had. It was weird taking coats along on a vacation. Usually it's warm enough to go in shorts and a tank top. Not this time!

    Once we got back, I saw this mini-stepper thing at Aldi. I got one and have been using it for ten minutes a day ever since. Like you, I've figured out that winter and eating don't mix well. Oh well. Back to exercising, I suppose. It's good for me, right? :)

    Blessings,
    Andrea

    Proofreader/Writer
    writingtoinspire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. I am just back from Zumba as I write this. I figure I only have to go a thousand more times to work off the weight I've gained. :) Glad you were able to take a vacation, too, Andrea.

      Delete
  8. Loved your post, Julie! So glad you and your family enjoyed a fun trip to Florida (if you all had been driving you could've stopped in Georgia for a visit with moi *grin*).
    My winter break trip was just for a weekend, but still very nice. In February my daughter Amy and I went to our Georgia coast, which we LOVE. Even though the beaches are not the whitest there, there's so much beauty and history. *big smile* And of course, I think a change of scenery (even briefly) is nice for everyone (even a HOMEbody like me, LOL).
    Please stay warm, and thanks again for sharing your trip with us. Hugs, Patti Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Patti Jo. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.