The Authors of Writes of Passage

The Authors of Writes of Passage

Friday, March 21, 2014

Welcome the newest member of our blogging family!








Hey friends, it's with excitement (and a tiny bit of snark) that I welcome the newest member of our close-knit community in our cozy corner of the internet. (How's that for use of alliteration?)


But first, I want to see if you can guess who it is! Ready? Okay....go!



Do you recognize her from this tiny sliver?


If you do, I'm not surprised because this vivacious woman is known everywhere for her sweet smile and warm personality. Well, at least by those who don't know her well enough yet...

I first met this author in 2001 in Kansas City at the first American Christian Fiction Writers Annual Conference. I think it was her smile that first drew me, then the way she nodded so compassionately as she spoke to us new writers who had no clue what we were doing. 

She, on the other, wrote her first novel, which was published within five months (if memory serves), and which also then became an award winning movie! Talk about starting your writing career off with a bang!


Do you know who it is yet? 


We've already told her she's doing to love all of you, and I know you're going to love her too. So without further delay, help me welcome this bestselling author, a dear friend––and my writing critique partner for 11+ years and counting––Deborah Raney!
















I can't tell you how excited I am to be part of this wonderful group of authors! 

I've enjoyed the wit and wisdom here on Writes of Passage since its inception, and while I'm sad to see Carol, Judy, Kim, and Tracie go, I'm delighted to be stepping into and clomping around in their shoes––despite having no hope of actually filling those shoes.

For those of you who don't know me, my usual professional intro goes like this: 

Deborah Raney is probably best known for her first novel, A Vow to Cherish, which was the inspiration for the award-winning World Wide Pictures film of the same title. Deborah's women's fiction has won the RITA Award, Carol Award, National Readers Choice Award, HOLT Medallion, and has twice been a finalist for the Christy Award. She has been writing for over twenty years and enjoys teaching at writers conferences across the country. Blah blah blah...

All true, but my favorite part of my bio, is often left out: (Wait. Before we go any further, my friends call me Deb. If you're reading this blog, you are my friend.) 

Deb's early success launched her career as a novelist after almost twenty happy years as a stay-at-home mom. Deb and her husband, Ken Raney, love traveling to visit four children, and five precious grandchildren who all live much too far away. The Raneys recently traded small-town life in Kansas––the setting of many of Deb's novels––for life in the (relatively) big city of Wichita.

I truly love the writing life and am very grateful God gave me this next thing to do, since, if a mom does her job right, she eventually puts herself out of a job! 


Deb's "tiny" family


But our four kids––all but one married now, and scattered from Texas to Missouri to Germany––are the real joys of our lives. Especially now that they've started producing a delightful crop of grandkids for us! We have four little boys and a sweeter-than-pie pig-tailed little girl––and the hope of at least a few more to come. How rich our lives are because of them!

Deb's adorable grandkids


On the writing front, after a year with two print books, and an e-book releasing, plus having just published my first indie e-book (an expanded and updated re-issue of my second novel), I'm excited to have the first book of a new series coming out this summer. The Chicory Inn Novels are set in Missouri (where both our daughters live––research is a great excuse to go visit those grand babies), and I'm discovering that my beloved characters have a lot in common with both my family of origin and the family I raised. 

I'm eager to get to know you better, and eager to share my life with you through this blog. 

If we could sit down and share a cup of coffee together, you'd soon learn that besides my family and Jesus, I am passionate about traveling, teaching at writers conferences, decorating our home on-the-cheap, exploring antique shops, flea markets, and garage sales, trying new recipes (though my hubby is a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, so don't expect anything gourmet from me!), watching movies, and of course, READING great books. (You'll also learn that I'm passionate about using parentheses!)

Can't wait to hear about the things that make your world go round! So please, tell me!

~Deb



                                                    Visit Deb's website







42 comments:

  1. Hello Deb,

    As an avid reader, I would just would like to say "Welcome" to WoP. I hope you will not find us too challenging but it is lovely to have you onside to help cope with Tammy! LOL (Just kidding Tam.....you know I love you!! :) )
    I was unable to guess who you were by Tammy's ,tricky pic of you,(see what I mean? She keeps us on our toes!) I am looking forward to "meeting" you through your books and maybe one day in person.
    I will never forget the wonderful time we spent last year in the US when the cyber"meeting " became reality and we were so well looked after by some of the lovely authors on WoP. Patti Jo was also able to join us and I feel truly blessed to have such wonderful friends!
    You may have guessed that I love travelling and in fact we are off in June to tour England Ireland and Scotland. Don't suppose you will happen to be there by any chance?LOL

    Seriously, it is good to have on board and I loved reading about you and your family.The photos are lovely and your grandchildren look a delight.

    BTW so pleased to read that you agreed with me about Tammy's reincarnation of Adelicia. Isn't she just the ticket??!! She looks as though she truly belongs at Belmont:).

    Looking forward to reading your future posts Deb.

    Cheers from "Down Under"

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Rosie! You're GOOD if you could recognize me from that sliver! What fun! And yes to the Tammy/Adelicia connection. :)

      Delete
    2. Deb I had NO earthly HOPE of recognising you from that photo!. Sometimes Tammy is impossible..she just loves to keep us guessing!LOL

      Delete
  2. Welcome Deb!! I was wondering who Tammy would be able to turn her snarkyness towards next! I look forward to getting to know you through the blog :-) Now that you are on the inside...I have a very important question. Can you handle us??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh heh. Tammy has had lots of practice on me. But it has built up my "snark" muscles. I think I can take you all. LOL!

      Delete
  3. You'll love it here, Deb--these readers are the BEST. Enjoy...and welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I know you'll be missed, and by more than just me! But I know where to find you! ;)

      Delete
  4. Deb - So delighted to have you joining us. Your cheerful spirit and loving manner will be such a blessing to us all. Readers and fellow bloggers alike.

    Oh, and you probably don't remember, but several years ago, I attended an ACFW pre-conference workshop with you and Colleen Coble where you read some of our opening pages and gave us feedback and critiques. I'm can easily testify to your abilities as a writing teacher and the positive impact you have on so many, including me. I learned a lot from you and Colleen that day, and I'm sure putting your knowledge into practice was one factor that helped me land my first contract the following year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you were in that class, Karen! But I remember it well! That was fun! And Colleen is an ace teacher! So thrilled to be joining you here!

      Delete
  5. Deb, you'll love the readers who frequent this blog. As for the authors, they're a super group, too, except maybe that one author who will do her best to keep you on guard, or at least on your toes. :) I know readers are going to be delighted having you as a new member to the blog. By the way, Deb does a great newsletter that is one of my favorites, so if you don't currently receive it, you should hop over to her website and sign up right now at http://www.deborahraney.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, oh, fellow Kansan, you'll be so missed here! But thanks for the welcome and I know you'll stop by and say "hi" once in a while. And if not, like I told Kim, I know where to find you! :)

      Delete
    2. Careful there, Miller. I'm in possession of some pretty incriminating pictures that might just come to light in the next couple of weeks. Just sayin.....

      Delete
  6. Welcome Deb! I'm so excited to be blogging with you. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and musings and writing wisdom--and getting to know you better. Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Lynn! I LOVE your books! So honored to be blogging with you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Deb! Loved reading about your writing journey and all that you've accomplished! And what a beautiful family you have! Thanks for joining our group. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. Love, Jody

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jody. I'm thrilled to be part of this wonderful group and look forward to getting to know you better too.

      Delete
  8. Deb, we are just so excited that you were willing and able to join our blogging family. Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody is more excited about it than me!! Thank you, Robin. P.S. I'm reading your new book right now and SO enjoying it. (Wish I wasn't on deadline so I could just read it in one sitting!!)

      Delete
  9. DEB!!!!!! So excited you are going to be on this blog! Tammy needs someone to keep her in line. LOL What fun! And I'll actually get to comment on your blog posts! :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Listen, you! I had to think long and hard about joining this blog after I received an anonymous warning...something about duct tape?? You wouldn't know anything about that, would you? ;)

      Delete
    2. Linda, aren't you supposed to be at work!????? : )

      Delete
  10. SO glad you're with us, Deb. But I think you already know that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do! And thank you for that sweet intro, Tammy. I KNOW there were snarky things you were tempted to say, but you reined it in so well! ;) Ken and I went out for coffee (our Friday tradition since we moved to Wichita) and I came back to these wonderful welcomes! I'm so glad I don't have to keep this secret any more! It was KILLING me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Tammy. I tried to resist but just CANNOT: you missed an alliterative opportunity! You should have said: "...close-knit community in our cozy corner of CYBERSPACE!" ;)

      Delete
  12. Warmest welcome, Deb!! I especially loved the picture of your family. What a beautiful group. Here's to more pig-tailed granddaughters in the future to even out the odds against those cute, cute, cute boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I grew up with 3 sisters and only one brother, I'm kind of loving all the boys in the fam. But I do want my granddaughter to have girl cousins or sisters because I LOVE the friendships I have with my own cousins and sisters. Some day I'll post the photo that looks more like the REAL Raneys. We aren't always so nicely posed and proper! ;)

      Delete
  13. Wow, so thrilled to have you join WOP, Deb. YOU are definitely a favorite author of mine, and I have read all of your books....some twice. It will be so good to learn more about you on WOP (in spite of Tammy's snarkiness...lol). I became acquainted with your great books years ago when I helped in church library (and ordered their books); I made sure ALL of yours were on the shelves in our library!
    Welcome....from a GA reader!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Jackie! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you getting my books in your library! And reading some of them twice! That's a TRUE fan! :) Seriously though, I know the WOP gals have mentioned this before, but I want to echo: we love our readers and appreciate you more than you'll ever know! In fact, it's YOU we write for! So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. YIPPY SKIPPY!!!! WELCOME DEB!!!!
    As you already know, you are one of my VERY, VERY FAVORITE Authors (and one of the VERY first authors I read after "discovering" Christian fiction).
    So I am thrilled that you are joining my very favorite blog!! (and I actually DID recognize you from that tiny sliver Tammy posted, LOL).
    I really am soooo excited you'll be a regular blogger on here, and hope you'll feel very welcome. This is a special group of ladies, so you should fit right in!
    Happy Hugs from Georgia, Patti Jo (one of your biggest FANS!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, YOU are one of my VERY, VERY FAVORITE readers, Patti Jo. Thank you for that warm welcome and hugs right back at ya!

      Delete
  16. Thank you, Charis. (What a great name!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deb! Wonderful to see you here, to make a rich blog even richer! I so enjoyed meeting you at ICRS and the Christy Awards back in 2009 - how uncanny were those moments! It's times like those that make you realise just how interconnected the network of readers and writers is, on a worldwide scale. Just meeting you, and other novelists, in person was a dream come true, and even if it never happens again, at least blogs like these keep the connectivity flowing. So awesome to see you here! *hugz*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always great to "see" you, too, Ellie! I do love that we live in an era where we can all be connected by this wonderful thing called the Internet! It really is a gift when used properly! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  18. Hi Deb!

    It's so great to have you join the family here at the soon-to-be-renamed WOP. I know you'll be a wonderful addition and keep us in stitches of laughter.

    What makes my world go round? Like you, God and family. Beyond that, there's tutoring (that's my posse of kids so far, as I haven't yet met my husband-to-be), writing Christian fiction -- and my blog: writingtoinspire.blogspot.com -- playing volleyball, trying a new hobby, and baking desserts. Oh, and then there's reading, watching movies and NBA and NHL games, and road trip vacations...

    Many blessings,
    Andrea

    Proofreader/Writer
    writingtoinspire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to learn more about you, Andrea. Sounds like you have a well-rounded slate of things that you are passionate about! Don't know about playing volleyball...I'm not very athletic. But I'd be happy to help out any time you're baking desserts. Just let me know! ;) Thanks so much for the warm welcome and for sharing what makes your world spin!

      Delete
    2. Having help baking would be fun! I know what you mean about not being very athletic. Volleyball is the only sport I'm really good at. My sister got most of the athletic genes. :) We do enjoy playing tennis together, though, and she says I'm doing well. Sometimes I'm not so confident about it, but it's fun to hang out with her.

      Delete
  19. How fun! I will look forward to reading your post, Deb! This is such a wonderful blog. Something new and interesting all the time. I don't read too many blogs, but I always check in with the Writes of Passage Ladies. : )

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Carrie. Let's hope it's still fun and interesting on the days I post. ;) Have loved reading everyone's comments. I already feel so very welcomed and look forward to getting to know you all better!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally guessed from the little sliver picture:-) How fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It's my big mouth, isn't it, Krista? ;) Nobody's having more fun than I am. So fun to see you here!!

      Delete

We're so glad you're here. Thanks for your comment!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.